Monday, August 23, 2010

Is the towing company screwing me over? Should I get legal advice?

My car was towed Sunday morning from a parking lot in a local hotspot of bars. I was doing the right thing by not driving home drunk but I parked at a grocery store that had ';no overnight parking';. It was my fault for parking there... no matter how crappy of a situation it is I was wrong (it was either drive home drunk and endanger other people or leave my car somewhere that looked safe).


Now sunday when I find out my car is towed... the guy tells me that I'm being a smartass therefore I wont be able to pick my car up until tuesday. After that conversation I call him back tuesday after labor day to find out that he is charging me for every day I dont pick up my car... I could not pick it up on labor day and he said I couldnt pick up my car on the Sunday it got towed. SO FINALLY tuesday I get in touch with him and he initially says that he will meet me at his lot at 4:00 PM. After calling him back for directions he informs me that he will not be there until 4:30, thus already breaking our initial time agreement to pick up my car. When I arrive at the car lot at 4:30, he informs me that he will not be there to meet me untill 5:00 PM. As you may tell I'm getting very frustrated at this point. 5:15 PM rolls by and he does not answer his phone. 5:30 PM the driver is still not answering his phone and this continues untill 6:30 PM when I leave. On top of this, there was another person waiting that was towed from the same parking lot at the same time as me, however he was charged $200 unlike me, who was charged $175. With the outrageous price for the initial tow aside... is that not illegal to charge two different people two different prices for the same exact service?


I was eventually informed by the man who was with me at the car lot that the driver (who was to take the payment and return my car) arrived finally at 6:45 PM.


Just for a few more stipulations... the tow guy is an ***... He cussed out the man that was waiting for me at the lot...





SO THE QUESTION IS!!!!!!!! Have I been legally abused by this company... are his practices out of line and need police action. After waiting for so long, I feel that my car should be returned to me free of charge with an apology... Is the towing company screwing me over? Should I get legal advice?
you should be charge for the towing and storage but for the days it was they if they charged you for one extra day for him being late ..that is wrong


but also look at this way you didn't get a DUI ..that would of cost at least 10x that amount... or more... most places are required to post the towing fee along with the sign. it is posted onIs the towing company screwing me over? Should I get legal advice?
Depends where you are.





In my city, the local police department contracts with most of the towing companies, so they tend to play nice, and be ethical.






You are out of luck. if you would have offered him more money, he would have come quicker. He may have had other cars to tow, so you were not an emergency to him.
Welcome to a business practice that is not monitored. A towing company can do whatever they like. The only thing you can do is contact the Better Business Bureau and report them. But I don't think anyone will be checking with the BBB before they leave their car overnight. Bottom line is, and you admit it, is that you broke the rules of the grocery store and they did what they did by getting it towed. The towing company can and usually will get as much money as they can out of anyone.
police action no, better business bureau of your area yes, as they will then put their own little plan of action into play to investigate the matter, and if he does the same thing to them in their little reenactment, then they will crack down on him, and advise tourist to avoid him, and possible have him brought to justice.
in this matter you have no choice but to pay, however, a sign must be posted in clear view inside the parking lot that cars will be towed at the owners expense. if no sign exists then you could beat this.
Yes they should. Contact a lawyer about this. I am sure that the police will understand about this, because they are against drunk driving (at least I hope they are) and also the tow company lied to you.





You should also get in touch with the other guy who got charged differently. I am sure he was also pissed off.





You better act fast on this though, I heard stories in the news of people who got their cars towed, and got them back missing parts, and damaged. If I were you, I'd start right away. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment