Thursday, August 19, 2010

Need some legal advice here. About company expense reports.?

I went on a business trip almost a year ago and when I got back with my receipts I did an expense report. I turned this into my accounting department which they looked over and accepted. Then they made a direct deposit into my bank account. Now they say they have looked through it and found errors in the amount of $313.40. Didn't them accepting and paying me mean they agreed to the terms of the expense report/receipts? Seems like if they pay me then they can't go back, all sales final kind of thing. Maybe I am in the wrong here but I figured I'd ask anyway.Need some legal advice here. About company expense reports.?
That's called a post-audit, and it's really not all that unusual. They likely paid the expenses based on a cursory review of your claim (voucher). But if there were errors or irregularities, it's their right to correct them. In some cases, this could lead to an even larger payment, if the error were in your favor. But in some other cases, and apparently yours is one, they detected some overpayment, which they now want to rectify. This is OK, provided their correction is really to make it right, and not just to rip you off.Need some legal advice here. About company expense reports.?
I think you wrong here. If you expenses something you should not have according to company guidelines ie perhaps a movie or liquor, and they paid it - shame on the person who processed your report. It does not change the fact that the report contained errors. I would hope, if you forgot a receipt from a year ago and found it, your employer would not say - you accepted the check too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment