Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Recent college grad, working in a large company...Just had my yearly review...advice for career development?

I am a 23 year old asian male, who has been working for a large fortune 500 company for about 16 months. I just had my yearly review with my boss, and had some questions for the feedback I was given. The one thing that I really appreciated with my bosses brutal honesty he gave me.





To sum things up, he said that overall for the first year he has been very pleased with my work ethic and job performance. He also mentioned he has passed along my name to his supervisor as someone with ';high potential.';





Even though I am asian, I am ver ';white'; in terms of culture. One of the things my boss brought up is that I need to create more visibilty within the department. He explained that the general perception about me with regards to other managers is someone who does a good job, but they don't know alot about me. He even told me how the politics within the company work, and how he will try to get me involved to lead a project next quarter to help me out. And had several comments stating, ';just between me and you'; and then tell me something about how things work with the company.





As of now, I know I do not want to stay in this department very long ,as I do have other aspirations within the company. I feel that my boss likes me in the sense that he is willing to tell me the honest truth about how things work, and even said ';With you having that potential tag on your back, things that you do whether good or bad will be magnified.:





What are you perceptions of the situation I am in? Do you think my boss is actually being genuine about what he is saying? Or do you think he tells this to most people, to feel like they have hope?Recent college grad, working in a large company...Just had my yearly review...advice for career development?
You can only take him at his word. Do you have ';skip level interviews'; at your company? That is interviews with your manager's manager? High preforming individuals are frequently ';set up'; to meet with higher level executives...you might ask about that. Also, definitely get on project teams that are cross departments. That will give you visibility, and the ability to move up. It will show you are a good team player, leader. If you see opportunities for such work, bring them to your manager. Don't wait to be ';assigned'; things...volunteer, point it out, even if they don't exist. Any movement in your company will be determined by your direct manager, so work with him. Your review was reviewed by his/her manager before it was given to you (just the way things work). Do you have a plan laid out for career growth? Not just projects, etc. but courses to attend, conferences, etc. All those are important....in skill building. If you lack visibility, it means that he cannot promote you as others perhaps are not seeing your skills...they need evidence.....work with him...and get to know his manager....good luck to you! (retired IBM corporate exec mgr/psychology professor)Recent college grad, working in a large company...Just had my yearly review...advice for career development?
Great position to be in and take your bosses advice and start ';working the room'; Socialize and get to know your coworkers, bosses etc.





You need to know them before you can lead them
I have been given the same feedback; that my manager thinks I do a good job but I don't show off my potential enough. This is feedback I have been given from time to time from the company I have worked for, for several years, which is also a large corporation. It really is true I think. You really need to make yourself visible and show what potential you have. When I started out close to your age I was in an entry level job and I knew right away that I wanted to move up. I always got great feedback from my managers and I have even been told that they think I have the potential to do their job on more than one occasion. When I went for the managerial job it took me at least a year to land the position because the feedback the hiring managers always got was that my managers thought I was great but I was never really exposed enough. I could have saved a lot of time moving up by putting myself out there more.
From my experience I would take what he is telling at face value. What does he gain by lying to you? A short term highly motivated individual who will quit once he finds out that his boss is lying...not likely!





Sounds like they like you and you're being groomed for better positions. Take on those projects and put your best foot forward and make sure you shine. If it's a lateral swing, don't be so quick to jump to another department of the company, but if a promotion comes along take it...





It really sounds like they like you and very happy with your work and potential. Good employees are hard to find and they want you to know they value you! Great Job!





Good Luck!
  • help for acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment