Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advice: Summer internship with a reputable company or a summer abroad in Turkey?

I am a sophomore mechanical engineering major.





The company that I have an interview with for an internship (just an interview, nothing for sure yet) is a highly respected petrochemical production company.





The study abroad opportunity is mostly likely paid all by scholarships and loans. It is only a month long deal, so if I were to do it, I would most likely take courses here at home for the first summer session, and then take classes in Turkey for the second session.





I am really conflicted; I want a job when I graduate that entails international travel, and an international experience in college would perhaps be a boon. However, no company is going to hire me out of college and put me in a plane every week. I would have to earn that sort of thing.





The experienced gained interning with this company would be a great professional and education experience, and it would look great.





Any thoughts?





another factor is the fun factor. going to Turkey would be incredible.Advice: Summer internship with a reputable company or a summer abroad in Turkey?
It depends. both have their pro's. I would take the trip to Turkey, but it all depened on the company that was offering the internships and how much it would mean to my future if i took it.Advice: Summer internship with a reputable company or a summer abroad in Turkey?
Are you not aware of what is going on in turkey right now? They are quite angry with America right now. (I am assuming you are an American.) They are considering invading Iraq because terrorists attacking them. I would not say that it is a good time for a young student who (I am once again assuming) does not know the language to go over there right now. Just keep that in mind when making your decision.
I would say, stick to the reputable company and stay home.


I doubt you would learn anything in Turkey. (had it been a Western European country, it would have been a different story altogether).


I would suggest work at home because you ll definitely get to learn more here technically than in a developing country like Turkey where the technology is not so progressive.


Well, but if you are looking for an excursion trip and a different culture, then you better think twice.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment