Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A cell phone company is about to sue me!!! Legal advice needed!?

I live in Russia but back in June I traveled to the US and I used my phone there and at the time I was exceedingly surprised to see that it actually worked in the States, it appeared that my provider there was AT%26amp;T instead of Megafon - one of the major cell phone providers in Russia whose services I used. Not knowing what was the matter I assumed that Megafon was a subsidiary of AT%26amp;T or something... Anyway, after a while I could no longer use the phone because the signal disappeared and remembering that the phone showed that my provider was AT%26amp;T, I called them to inquire as to why my phone ceased to have a signal... I explained everything to them and they told me a most peculiar thing, they told me that Megafon is NOT their subsidiary and they don't even have towers in the US and that it looks like their signal was going off the AT%26amp;T towers for a while and then stopped... Well, It was a good enough explanation to me.





When I got back to Russia my phone still didn't work, I found out that I owe the Russian company about $500 for using their services in the US. I refused to pay, 'cause I reason since they have no towers in the US they can't charge you for using the services of some other company ('cause it looks like while I was in the US, I used the AT%26amp;T services, 'cause the signal was going off the AT%26amp;T towers), and if I have to pay, shouldn't I pay AT%26amp;T? Why do I have to pay Megafon? Now Megafon threatens to sue me if I don't pay them the above amount. I don't think it's fair. Any idea what I can do?A cell phone company is about to sue me!!! Legal advice needed!?
You can pay your bill. Next time, read the contract.A cell phone company is about to sue me!!! Legal advice needed!?
What happened was you had roaming charges added, although you were off another providers towers you still get dinged for it.
Tell them to take you to court,if you believe you are right,this fault is none of your doing and seems to be a technical sort of bleed over.Your arguments are perfectly valid,pay them not a cent.However,they have the whip hand by cutting your service completely,you should look elsewhere for a provider now.The thing that they are really being honest about is the you were actually on their service without first notifying them of your trip,this is just a measure of innefficiency on their part,in this respect they are right and you should pay them ,as they did provide the service and you did use it.
It's called roaming, and it involves companies having agreements to use each other's towers and switching services. You pay your own provider, they share that with the local provider (AT%26amp;T).





Your phone agreement probably makes mention of this when travelling internationally, although it may not be specific of how much it costs. For a situation like this, $500 is not that outrageous, I know people who have incurred $3000 fees for overseas travel.





Yes, you owe them the money.
  • help for acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment