Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I have a debt collection company after me and I need advice. Please see below.?

I have a company who says that a judgement was entered against me for the total sum of a debt I have not paid. I have been in contact with this company since I have been out of work for almost 2 years due to an injury. I am fighting disability since I was denied and have no income. This letter states that it ';may'; do the following: prevent future employment, affect ability to obtain a mortgage, affect ability to obtain an apartment. My credit is bad and has been for a while, I'm not concerned about that until I have the funds to work with a credit agency in the future. What I need to know is how serious this is, what can I do since I have no income. I did write a letter and had it delivery confirmed asking for the original debt information, loan amount, accrued amount. They never responded in the 30 days. I still get calls daily (not harrasing but daily). Please include options and possible contact companies that will help me. Thank you all.I have a debt collection company after me and I need advice. Please see below.?
If you owe the money, have no income and your credit is shot, you should talk to a lawyer about filing bankruptcy. You have nothing to lose and you should be able to clear your debt.





Most lawyers don't charge for an initial meeting. This is the hard way to go but they won't stop calling until you pay the bill and if you aren't working, there's no way to pay it.





The problem is, they don't care, they are paid a commission to collect the funds and will continue to call until you pay or file bankruptcy.





Look in the phone book or classifieds of your local newspaper for a bankruptcy lawyer and discuss your options with them.I have a debt collection company after me and I need advice. Please see below.?
Can you check with a bankrupcy lawyer about bankrupcy? I would definitely do that.
If you want details on the debt, you should continue calling, asking, and writing letters to the collection agency. Keep in mind that they may lie to your or ignore your requests, so you should be persistent.





Also keep in mind that collection agencies are legally required to stop calling you if you ask them to. They may not do so immediately, so again, be persistent. If they are forced to stop calling you, they may take legal action against you.


Make sure that you don't have any assets that could be siezed and liquidated.





If the collections agencies understand your situation, they may be willing to reduce the amounts, interest, penalties, etc.





This is still a tough situation.


If you have no income, no hope of income in the near future, and a large amount of outstanding debt, then you might need to declare bankruptcy.


That should only be a last resort, though.





You can get help from companies like the ACCC


1-800-769-3571


http://www.consumercredit.com/index.html
If you make less than 70K - bankruptcy - get all debts discharged and _IMPROVE_ your credit (yes, you improve your credit with bankruptcy - although it will not be ';perfect'; for some years.)
The whole part about ';prevent future employment, affect ability to obtain a mortgage'; etc just refers to the fact that its more badness going on your credit report, and people who want to hire you or rent to you in the future will most likely pull a credit report. They can deny you based on what they find in the report, but they can't tell you thats why they denied you.





The best thing you may be able to do is file bankruptcy. Many people do this, it doesn't have the stigma it once had (especially after a bad injury or many medical bills). Some may actually look more favorably on you if you do this instead of just letting your debt ride forever, because it shows you took matters into your own hands and took steps to fix your situation.





I filed bankruptcy 4 years ago due to very similar circumstances (illness caused me to be out of work, causing me to go into collections with everyone), and within a year I had a fresh start, and was being offered credit cards and car loans again. Good luck with whatever you do.
I would contact your local legal aid. They are real good for someone who doesnt have alot of money. (believe me I know from experience). They have helped me alot in the last few years. It took me 3 long years to get my disability n even then I had to hire a attorney, the attorney gets their fee from your back pay.
I had the same problem once....call you local ';FREE'; attorneys. I don't know where you live but if you are broke/poor/ or on welfare there are free attorneys. Good luck. DO NOT ANSWER THAT LETTER until you get an attorney. There are ways to help you....ok?
There are a ton of laws that protect you from this. Most are not aware of them as is the way they like it. Go to www.creditinfocenter.com This is a great site that has helped so many people in your same spot.
Having a judgement against you really will affect your credit rating, and for a lot longer than you owe the money for!


Your best bet is to make small, 'nominal' payments to the company, even, say 拢5 per month!


If you are making regular payments without fail, they can't take things any further, such as sending the bailiffs! They may still ring and complain that it isn't enough, but they can't get blood out of a stone, so to speak!


Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment